Mean Green Openface Sandwiches!

I’m calling this the mean green sandwich because it’s full of raw, good-for-you awesomesauce and they’re open face because I like to look my meal in the eye. Fortunately these don’t have any eyes because I have issues with that. The first thing I did was make a basil garlic spread using the following:

1 very large handful of basil leaves

5-6 peeled garlic cloves

1/4 cup of pumpkin pits

1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds

2 tbsp nutritional yeast

2 tsp Meyer lemon olive oil

2 tbsp veganaise

1/2 tsp flake red pepper

1/2 cup of water (you might not use all of it)

I blended all of that up, adding water as needed to form a spreadable texture. We spread it on sliced, toasted gluten-free bread and topped it with spinach and avocado.

I added a lot of extra flake red pepper because I’m just that kind of girl. This was a fast and delicious meal. The buttery avocado was a great contrast to the spicy basil and pesto. The nuttiness of the bread and hemp reminded me I was getting a heaping dose of omega fatty acids and protein to go with my antioxidants and iron.  It would have been great in a nori wrap with sprouts too for a real raw meal! Maybe we’ll do that next time and until then, nom on!

This is Christie, signing off!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Mean Green Openface Sandwiches!

1. elle says:

yess I love this kind of stuff! looks fantastic 😀

• Kinenchen says:

I was in Washington a few days ago and the dearth of blackberries made me think of you. Here in Florida we’ve got avocado like you’ve got blackberries. The grass is always greener, right?

• elle says:

Whoa are you serious? Avocados like we’ve got blackberries would be heaven! …coz we’ve got *a lot* of blackberries…Believe me, the grass is definitely greener on your side! haha

• Kinenchen says:

Seriously… I’d love to make blackberry-basil sauce for pasta, blackberry cashew cheese and arugula salad and blackberry cobbler and maybe some blackberry beer… blackberry butter… blackberry parfait…

• elle says:

whaaat blackberry butter? pasta sauce? that all sounds so awesome! I didn’t even know you could do all that with blackberries! …Only problem is those blackberry bushes are so thorny that by the time I’m done picking a bucket I look down at my hands and I can’t even tell what’s berry juice and what’s blood D:

2. Kinenchen says:

Yeah, I totally hear that. I still have scratches all over my legs and only remember the joy of eating the blackberries.